casting resin

Casting the mirror frame in plaster of Paris wasn't really successful. I had the presumption upfront, but i just had to try it out. As you might have seen the model is just too thin and too intricate for the brittle gypsum.

The company that supplied the silicon and plaster also has a few other poring media, so I've bought some resins. I've opted for Poly Urethane and got me a test kit of Acrylate in it as well.

The whole process is more or less the same as using plaster. Measuring and accurately weighing the individual components and making sure everything is ready and set. Cos of the short pot-life you only have a few minutes to poor.

The two different resins both took about an hour or so to set. Releasing the frames from the mold showed that the acrylate did not release any air bubbles during setting. It was shattered with really tiny pores and it wasn't strong enough, it looked a lot like plaster and broke... Turns out the poly urethane as first choice was a good one. It's perfect; it's strong & hard (tough as boots) and takes all the detailing!

I'll cast a few more and once they'll finished they will go on offer.


  1. Well please put me on the list for one!!!! My dining room desperately needs a new mirror.

  2. I am not clear about which is which resin wise that you had sucess with.

    I just know that the one I use called Clear Cast (in the USA) is tough as nails. It is also a two part resin and casts clear. Though dyes can be added for color.

    I am so glad you found one you like ans works well for you.

  3. Hi Debora,
    Glad to see that the resin worked out for you!
    Looking forward to see your mirrors finished.
    By the way...your new layout here works really good, just wanted to let you know.

  4. Lastima que el traductor no me deja claro los materiales, por que tu resultado es perfecto y tengo varias cosas que em gustaria sacar el molde¡¡¡
    Un beso y gracias

  5. It's so great you were able to make it work. It's such a beautiful mirror! The new blog look is very nice! =)

  6. very nice Mirrors and cute blog :)

  7. Thank you Elga, work's in progress. I'll make sure to set one aside for you.

    Catherine, it was the acrylic that didn't work. The one that was successful was the poly urethane. Your description of the one you've used makes me believe its the same sort, cos it comes in a transparent type too, with almost the same name. Crystal clear PU kit :)

    I hope you can read the above (with a translator :)) Susi. I've mentioned just the materials that I'd used because in different countries it's available under different brand names. So mentioning the brand I've got is not really helpful. If you have things you want to multiply, just go look on the internet and search in your own language. No doubt you will find loads of information and web shops that might help you & where you can buy all you need to have a go at it.

    Yes Jeffrey, i'm relieved to have found what works too. The web shop was speedy and gave good advise too.

    For all who want to know;

  8. Gracias por la explicacion, siempre he querido hacer cosas en resina...Un beso

  9. Good to see you have found the answer to your casting problem! I think it is great to experiment, even though sometimes it doesn't work the way you want it to. Or I should say, because things don't always turn out the way you want them to. It is through this we often find answers to questions we didn't even know we had. OK, maybe not in this case ;)
    The size I used for the gold leaf is acrylic, so not oil based. It contains real 'boule' (rode bolusaarde die ook bij polimentvergulden gebruikt wordt). De dekking is goed, kan verdund worden met water, en ook de fijnste details komen naar voren. Het heet Mixtion rood van Classic Paint Effects. (Gekocht bij 'Arts & Crafts' in De Goorn) Maar zoals je het nu doet werkt het ook perfect.
    Bedankt voor de link!

  10. PS: I have no idea why I switched to Dutch halfway through my comment. Sorry about that.

  11. Hi Debora,
    I'm so glad you wrote htis post. I havent ventured in the wonderful world of mold making yet and this post is very helpful!
    Great job on the mirrors. They look perfect.
    All the best,

  12. Thanks for sharing the brand you've used, Josje. What ever the outcome of an experiment turns out to be, you always learn something. Whether it is of use at that particular time is another question of course.

    And if it's of use to someone else, like you, Giac, I'm a novice as well on this casting field and feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I thought i post about the first careful steps into this wonderful world of multiplying :D

  13. Hi Debora,
    You have casting very beautiful mirror. I like it

    1. thank you , glad you like it. It was fun to play with this concept of reproducing an original. They turned out not bad at all!

  14. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to
    find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to
    use a few of your ideas!!

    Feel free to surf to my webpage testosterone supplements side effects

  15. Starting with either a Sapphire Crystal or Ruby Crystal is a good choice,
    but Fiddlesticks can work well with a Doran's Ring or an Elixir of Brilliance and potions -
    his drain is simply that good. Of all the strategy RPGs on the PS2 (including this games predecessor Disgaea
    1), Disgaea 2 had the best characters, funniest story, and most balanced game play without too much grinding.
    Destiny's Atrium Once back here head to the face in the wall that
    is shooting fireballs at you and use the fleece to shoot them back to open a passageway.

    My web blog :: Summoners War Sky Arena Hack


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...