The past few days I have spent working on another pair of skates. The skates have a less elaborate design in the wood compared to the first ones I did. But that is balanced with a very nice detail in the shape of an acorn on the tip of the irons.
Here are the prototype from which I took the measurements.
On the base where you place your feet, you can see the small pair at half stage.
But now I am a bit stuck. So there is time give you an update. The reason is that the origanal skates have a woven orange colored lace to tie the skates under as you can see in the pic above. There's no ribbon that can simulate this very particular lace, so I have begon to experiment. I want to reproduce it as close as I can.
Using some bobbinlace technique was the best I could think of, and it doesn't look bad at all. But the fibers I used for the warp are DMC 80, a thread that is clearly to thick for this job. The proportions are wrong, it's too wide. And the colors are a bit too harsh as well.
The thread for the woof or weft is a cotton 140, and that is fine by the looks of it. All I need to do now is change the warp fibers for a thinner version. I rumbled in my sewingbox but I haven't got these odd colors (orange, blue and yellow). And now it's sunday and all shops are closed so I thought I could crawl behind the computer and show you where I am at.
If you want to see more pictures about the making of these skate, click here